Monday, October 29, 2012

Harvest Chicken Wrap

27 Days to a Healthy Body Image: Day 24

Picture thisI was a senior in college taking a sophomore writing class (in my last semester) I was assigned a humanities writing class even though I had been taking critical political philosophy and French philosophy classes.  I was bored out of my mind writing journal assignments about correct grammar and 3 page response papers about specific poems. Finally the professor gave us an assignment worth doing-- a two page paper on "My Art."  Painting, photography, film whatever art was to you.  My paper?  The Art of Deconstruction (yes, I had attitude problems).  Deconstructing arguments into their peices, deconstructing ideas.  Part of the assignment was to read the paper aloud for the class.  I was preceded by the art of candid photography and followed by the art of poetry appreciation.  Yeah, I was a little intense.

At the time, I had no idea how accurate that paper was about ME. What are my favorite pasttimes now?  Deconstructing exercises to find the most effective and effecient workouts.  And deconstructing my favorite meals at restaraunts and making divine cuisine at home.  Deconstructing... who knew?

Today's recipe is a deconstruction of a recipe I tasted at Moore's Cafe in rural Perry, Utah.  The mix of colors and flavors in this wrap makes me want to savor each healthy bite.  YUMM!

The original meal called for Gorgonzola cheese (a mild form of blue cheese), candied pecans, and spinach tortillasI cut down on the calories by toasting nuts instead of candying them and by making a low calorie Poppyseed Dressing.  Feel free to substitute toasted pecans for the almonds or feta for the Gorgonzola if that is more to your liking.  Need a gluten free optionThis makes a GREAT salad!


Harvest chicken salad
Harvest Chicken Wrap
1 boneless skinless chicken breast half, cooked
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (about 1 head)
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola
1/3 cup toasted almonds, chopped
1 Tablespoon finely sliced red onion
2 Tablespoons Creamy Poppyseed Dressing (recipe follows)
4 large tortillas

Cook the chicken.  (I sliced my chicken into strips and broiled them for 7 minutes.)  Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces-- I like them on the small side-- about the size of my pinky nail.

Harvest Chicken Wrap
In a medium sized bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.  Toss with the dressing.  Spoon onto the tortillas.  Fold together and enjoy.

Creamy Poppyseed Dressing
1/4 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Tablsepoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon poppyseeds
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.  Serve over your favorite salads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment