Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Filling Up at the True Source

27 Days to a Healthy Body Image: Day 25

I've written about my need to feel love before-- my need for attention, approval, and affection.  I think that is a universal human quest.  We seek love from our family members.  Approval from the general world in the form of "likes" on our status updates and comments on our posts.

I was asked once why I do so much to please others.  I searched for the answer... Yes, I do it because I love others.  Yes, I do things because I enjoy them.  But sometimes (more often than it should be) I do things to the point of "perfection" not just so I will enjoy the result or receive praise, but so I will avoid criticism.  Am I so insecure in my own worth that a little criticism will tear me to pieces?  Sometimes, yes.

When we find the true source of happiness, joy and love, the need to receive the praise of [fill in the blank] diminishes.  But where is the real source of happiness, love, approval, attention and affection?

The apostle Paul speaks of charity as the pure love of Christ which "beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.  Charity never faileth." (1 Corinthians 13:7,8)  The ancient prophet Mormon further encourages us to "pray with all the energy of heart" that we might be filled with this love.

I had a breakthrough moment a week ago when I realized that I didn't just need to pray to be filled with charity for others, but that I NEED to be filled with Christ's love FOR ME!  Jesus Christ's love for me (and YOU) endures all things, bears all things, and NEVER FAILS!

Jesus and the Samaritan Woman, by Carl Bloch
The true source of love, attention and approval is available 27-7, ready to share His infinite love.  When I remember to tap into His love for me, the criticism fades, the disquiet is subdued and I recognize my true beauty.  An inner confidence comes from the knowledge of being loved, cherished and watched over by my own Savior and Heavenly Father.   A power enables me to move forward despite the critic (me).

There are few things more beautiful than a woman who knows she is a Beloved Daughter of an Ever Loving Father and shares His love with those around her.

Today, seek for and share Jesus Christ's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment