Monday, November 5, 2012

Green "Waldorf" Salad

It's November.  Do you have your Thanksgiving menu planned yet?  My siblings and I have been chatting about traditional Thanksgiving recipes from our childhood.  So much good food and so much fun.  I thought I would share my favorite recipes (healthy or not) each Monday until Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll even do a pie crust tutorial... Happy Healthy (or not) Eating.

Green Waldorf Salad was a staple at holiday meals.  Mom made it healthy by adding copious amounts of lettuce.  Now I serve it with a simple sweet balsamic dressing (see below) or a creamy poppyseed dressing

Green Waldorf Salad
1-2 heads of romaine, torn
1 cup red grapes, halved
4 ribs celery, chopped
2 apples (I love gala and fugi), cored and chopped
1/2 cup toasted nuts (mom used walnuts- I use pecans or almonds), chopped
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced

Prepare the ingredients (rinse, dry, chop, toast).  Combine in a large bowl.  Dress just before serving.

Green "Waldorf" Salad
Sweet Balsamic Dressing
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 Tablespoon balsamic vinager
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning

Whisk together and serve over your favorite salad.  Refrigerate extras.

No comments:

Post a Comment