Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Best Part of Thanksgiving

Now I almost feel guilty.  I just wrote that title and was thinking specifically of yummy pies.  Shouldn't the best part of Thanksgiving be being thankful, or spending time with family or [fill in the blank].  For me the very best part is YUMMY Pies!

I grew up learning to roll pie crusts and baking pies the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  The traditional ones Apple, Cherry, Pumpkin, Pecan and the less traditional ones, Chocolate Mousse, Tolehouse.  And now being married I have added my husband's favorite cream/silk pies.  "Pie making day" is no longer just a one day event!

When asked which pie is my favorite, I respond, "Would you ask which child is my favorite?"  Each pie shares a special place in my heart!

I thought I would share with you my very best signature pies.  These are not healthy recipes!  I will not delude you on that score.  Enjoy and Indulge.  Then get back to the gym on Friday!


Pie Crust
3 cups all purpose flour
6 oz by weight LARD (about 2/3 cup)
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 Tablespoon vinegar
3 1/2 Tablespoons water
Combine salt and flour.  Cut in the lard to make pea sized pieces.  Set Aside.  Combine egg,  vinegar and water.  Gently mix the wet in with the flour mixture.  Allow to rest 5 minutes before rolling out.  Makes about 3, 9 inch crusts.


Tolehouse Pie This chocolate chip cookie pies is super easy and yummy to make!
1 prepared pie crust
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Mix together the melted butter, sugars, flour, egg and vanilla.  Put chocolate chips and nuts in the bottom of the pie crust.  Pour the butter mixture over the chips.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until golden and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment