Monday, November 12, 2012

Erica Proof Stuffing

I am a food addict.  I am a picky eater.  Can those two sentances mix.  They do for me.  Yes, I love food, but it has to be really good food with no yucky things in it.  (Refer to the childhood list of food avoidances and you'll find the things I don't eat.)

Stuffing is one of those things I have issues with.  Pregnancy + Stomach Flu + Stovetop Stuffing = I can't go near the stuff (bad pun, I know)!  Except for this recipe.

Erica Proof Stuffing, is chock full of good eats: sausage, nuts, apples and more.  YUM! It is similar to my Mom's stuffing, but with less sage.   I prep it the week before Thanksgiving and freeze until Turkey Day.  A quick thaw, add a little broth and I can throw it in the oven and forget about it.

Erica Proof Stuffing
1 lb good bread, toasted, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery (about 4-6 ribs)
1 apple, cored & chopped (I prefer fugi & gala)
1 cup chopped walnuts (pecans are a good choice too!)
1 lb hot Italian Sausage, browned (save the grease)
1/4 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Toast the bread by placing the bread on cookie sheets.  Bake at 350 for about 5-10 minutes or until the bread is just golden and nice and crunchy.  Break out your bread knife and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.

In a large skillet brown the sausage.  When the sausage is just brown, add in the chopped onion, celery & apple.  Cook over medium heat until the onion is just softened.  Remove from heat.

In a very large bowl, toss together the toasted bread, sausage mixture and the spices.  If you are preparing ahead of Thanksgiving, let it come to room temperature, chill in the fridge then freeze.

On Turkey Day,  pour 1 1/2 cups of good chicken broth over the stuffing.  Cover with foil.  Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes, removing foil for the last 20 minutes of the bake.  The top should be crisp and the inside soft and moist.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment