Monday, August 19, 2013

Cream Soup Mix

This mix has become a staple in my kitchen.  Not only can I control what goes into this mix, I now know what is going into my casseroles, soups, and skillet dinners.  Loving it!

This has been floating around for years, but, being Erica, I have made a couple changes.  I swapped out half of the corn starch for flour.  Now it thickens more quickly and doesn't separate if I bake it in a casserole in the oven.  Happy Cooking!

Basic Soup Mix
2 cups powdered non-fat dry milk
1/2 cup corn starch
1/4 cup flour
1/c cup instant chicken bouillon*
2 Tablespoons dried onion flakes
2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning

Combine all ingredients in a container.  Mix well.  Equal to 9 cans of cream soup.

How to Use Soup Mix
To substitute for 1 can of condensed cream soup (before you add the liquid to the stuff in the can)

Combine 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cup COLD water (cold helps reduce/eliminate clumping)
Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.  Add thickened soup to any recipe as you would a can of cream soup.

*be sure to read your bouillon label so you know what is in it.  Can be omitted if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment