Monday, August 12, 2013

Chicken Veronique With Fresh Peaches

Chicken Veronique
Yesterday I was flipping through a cookbook and chanced upon this recipe.  We had all the ingredients and nothing else sounded good, so voila, dinner.  Today I am mourning the lack of leftovers.  This chicken was melt in your mouth moist, full of flavor, and simply DIVINE.  Yes, mom, I liked it!!!!!   I liked it enough to eat what was on my plate!  (Isn't it pathetic how picky I am?  I'll eat a little chicken at a restaurant occasionally.  I eat my own chicken if the application includes other textures and flavors.  I just don't like chicken on it's own.) I liked this CHICKEN!  You HAVE TO TRY THIS!
Don't let the fancy name fool you.  Is isn't a long and hard recipe.

Chicken Veronique with Fresh Peaches
1 cup seedless grapes (I used red)
2 fresh peaches, peeled, sliced into quarters
1/4 cup white wine (I substituted with orange juice)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 chicken breasts
1 clove garlic, pressed
3 Tablespoons butter

Combine the grapes, peaches, wine (o.j.), and sugar in a bowl.  Let the flavors meld together at room temperature for 1 hour, or 8 hours in the refrigerator.

Mix the flour, paprika, ginger, salt and pepper in a bag.  Toss chicken in the spices.

Melt the butter in an oven proof skillet.  Brown the chicken and garlic in the skillet.  Remove from heat.  Drain the juice from the fruit and pour over the chicken in the skillet.  Cover.

Bake the chicken, covered, for 12 minutes at 375 or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.  Add the grapes and peaches.  Bake uncovered just until the fruit is heated through, about 3 minutes.  Serve on a bed of Citrus Quinoa

Citrus Quinoa
1 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest

Rinse quinoa well.  In a pot combine the quinoa with the water, juice and zest.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat.  Cook on low for 15 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Allow to sit for a few minutes.  Fluff with a fork and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment