Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Taco Soup-- revisited

I've made many taco soups in my lifetime.  Many recipes.  Many delicious dinners.  As I work to clean up my diet I search for foods that work better with my body I have modified my taco soup recipe again.  The feature this time around is the home made taco seasoning blend.  This makes a world of difference for me.  No additives, no junk--better for me.  I also added more veggies to the mix.  I don't do so well with corn or legumes, so I replaced those with some easy for me to digest veggies.  I missed eating the soup with some salt and crunch so I added a bit of fresh shredded lettuce.  That crunch helped me feel like I'm not missing out.  Feel free to add some corn chips, beans or frozen corn to your own mix.  Maybe garnish with some fresh avocado and cilantro.  YUM

Happy Eating

No Grain Taco Soup
1 lb cooked ground meat (I have done shredded chicken and ground beef.  Both great!)
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chopped veggies (I like a mix of carrots, celery, and bell peppers)
1/4 cup your favorite taco seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons lime juice (or lemon, whatever you have)
2 cans (14.75 oz) petite diced tomatoes
32 oz beef broth

In a large stock pot, combine cooked meat with onion, garlic and veggies.  If using quick cooking veggies like zucchini, reserve those for later.  Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes until onions start to soften.  Add in the taco seasoning, salt, lime juice, tomatoes and stock.  Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Add in any quick cooking veggies.  Simmer 3 more minutes.
Serve with your favorite taco toppings, cheese, lettuce, chips, sour cream or avocado.




No comments:

Post a Comment