Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Chocolate "Health" Shake

I am a chocolate fan.  I am a chocolate lover.... You might call me a choco-holic.  Going off sugar was crazy hard, because that meant forgoing my favorite treat.  But then I found a way to eat my chocolate and feel no guilt about it.

Hello, Chocolate "Health" Shake.  Unsweetened cocoa powder gives this shake its chocolate punch; banana and spinach sweeten up the party; peanut butter makes it creamy; and the spinach helps with fiber, phyto-nutrients, and really gives this shake the healthy stamp of approval.

The appearance of this shake is not for the faint of heart.  It is a green-brown sludge- a harrowing combination in the nightmares of mothers world wide.  But if you can close your eyes and take a gulp, you are in for a treat!

Fair warning... I like dark chocolate-- I eat the 80% and 90% dark and think it tastes great.  I also want as much green goodness as I can shove into my body... You might want to start low and baby step up the cocoa powder and the greens to suit your taste palate.  I'll provide both variations for your consumption pleasure.

Baby Steps Chocolate "Health" Smoothie

1 whole frozen banana
1 cup compacted spinach
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2-1 cup water (milk would be creamier... but I don't drink milk so I can't say how it tastes)

Combine all ingredients in a blender.  Start low with the liquid and add more if the shake is too thick to blend (I like it as thick as possible).... Blend, blend and blend some more-- unblended spinach bits are the worst-- about one minute or until all the spinach bits are incorporated. (frozen spinach will take longer to blend-- next week I'll teach you how to freeze your spinach for smoothies)

Enjoy.  Makes one serving

Dark Chocolate "Health" Smoothie

1/2 frozen banana
2-3 cups compacted spinach (as much as I can shove in the mini blender)
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
2-3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2-1 cup water (or other liquid)

(I halved the banana and doubled the cocoa so this is dark and delicious--be warned.) Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend, blend and blend some more.  Shake the container to get the spinach loosened from the sides and all the yumminess mixing together.  Blend, blend and blend some more.  (this can take up to two minutes)
Drink right from the blender or pour into a cup.  Serves one.

No comments:

Post a Comment