Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Granola Bars meets Protien

After playing with the chocolate peanut butter crunch recipe, I found a recipe for chewy granola bars.   SCORE!  Then suddenly I wasn't satisfied with my previous creation.  Yes it tasted yummy, but could I amp up the protein and turn it into a granola bar style.  So my kitchen has been transformed into a test kitchen yet again.  (Why is good never good enough?!?  I really ought to think about it, but today I am cooking...)

Homemade low calorie granola (check) (I wouldn't eat it for breakfast but it is good for this purpose!)
Protein Powder (Check)
Peanut Butter (Check)
Apron (check)

Let the play time Begin!  I feel like I am back developing recipes for my cooking classes-- ingredients scattered, apron smeared, sticky fingers, children neglected, no they are at school, dog neglected.  I.E. all around crazy fun in the kitchen.
My kitchen gets trashed

I started with the idea from back to the cutting board using granola and rice crispies for the bulk of the bar.  I added some peanut butter and protein powder, but it was way too dry.  Added some milk.  Ooops too much.  New batch.  On batch #3, I figured out the ratios.  (Good thing I buy protein in bulk)

Here is the finished product


Peanut Butter Protein Granola Bar
 2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1/4 cup rice crispy cereal
1/3 cup plain granola
10 chocolate chips
Melt peanut butter in a small bowl.  Stir in milk and protein powder.  Add granola and rice cereal.  Form into a granola bar shape.  Dot with chocolate chips.  Enjoy responsibly.

Nutrition facts: 375 Calories, 11 grams of fat, 15g carbohydrates, 27 grams protein

Plain Jane Granola (good for making granola bars, but not breakfast worthy)
5 cups quick oats
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp oil
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Spread onto a cookie sheet.  Bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, or until it is a deep golden brown color.  Allow to cool.  Use it to make granola bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment