Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Addiction--

You know that thing that you just can't live without?  You try it once and you can't picture your life without it?   It may be true love, a new fragrance the local shoppe, or even an extreme sport.

Well, I can't live without AMAZINGLY GOOD food.  Boxed food will keep you alive, but who wants to put it in their mouth more than once.  I love gourmet chocolate, sauces with intricate spices, compotes and pies.  Oh don't forget cream.  I ADORE cream.

My food addiction doesn't help with my "Tri harder; live better" mantra, but with a little help I have learned how to tweak my recipes to keep the formerly OFF LIMITS in my diet!  Chocolate is ok.  Cheesecake, bring it.  Chinese food, OH YEAH!

So here is my take on an American Chinese Classic -- and it is only 5 points on Weight Watchers Points Plus System!

Cashew Chicken
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
4 ribs celery, sliced
4 carrots, sliced
1/2 onion sliced
1 can water chestnuts
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
2 Tbsp corn starch
3/4 cup cashews

Cut chicken breast haves into 1 inch pieces and marinate in salt, sesame oil, soy sauce and sugar.  Set aside while you prepare the remaining items.

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a wok.  Sear chicken for one minute on each side.  Set aside.
Stir fry celery, carrots, onion, garlic and water chestnuts until they brighten in color and are crisp tender.  Add chicken to the veggies.

Add broth, hoisin sauce and cornstarch to the wok.  Stir to combine.  Cook over medium heat for 3-6 minutes or until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through.  Sprinkle cashews over the top.
Serve with rice.

Tips:  I pre-cut veggies one day a week and put them in baggies in the fridge.  That way I have veggies sliced and ready when I am ready to cook.
My family doesn't care for ginger.  If you do, add 1/4 inch fresh ginger root minced or 1/2 tsp dry to the vegetables in the wok.

Amazingly this recipe is rather healthy. It makes 6, 1-cup servings.  Each serving has only 5  (BELIEVE IT!!!) Weight Watchers Points Plus Points.  (Rice is extra.  But still if you have 1 cup rice with your 1 cup cashew chicken you are only consuming 10 points)

YUM!!!  Now that is one recipe that will help me LIVE BETTER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment