Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fixing Food Addictions-- Step One

Have I mentioned how much I love GOOD Food!  I can eat all day long-- as long as the food is fattening and yummy.  One of my worst habits is eating food on the go-- grabbing that left over lasagne, and eating it while I am driving kids around; munching on chocolate covered almonds while browsing the web; sneaking bites of a divine french cheese while cooking dinner.  I realised that if I want to be healthy I had to change that habit!

Fixing Food Addictions
Step 1.  Choose a bad habit and change it.

My first bad habit to go was eating on the run.  Now when I eat, I try to make sure I am sitting at the table with time to enjoy the yummy healthy food I am eating.  Eating a food that is not as portable is a good way to minimize movement.  Soups rock my lunch time.  If I have to take it on the go, I can.  But to savor it's luscious goodness, you'll want to sit down.

Here are two of my favorite lunch soups, each with only 3 points on Weight Watchers Points Plus!!!!

Tortellini Meatball Soup
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cup copped vegetables (celery, carrot, peppers, zuccini, whatever floats your boat)
8 cups beef broth
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
2 bay leaves
2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbps parsley flakes
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1 package (16 oz) frozen cheese filled tortellini
24 frozen meatballs, reheated
In a large pot, brown vegetables in 1 tsp olive oil until tender.  Add spices, broth, and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil.  Turn down heat.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Add tortellini and meatballs.  Cook 10 more minutes.  Serve with 1 tsp Parmesean cheese per serving.
Makes 14, 1 1/2 cup servings.  Only 3 points on Weight Watcher's Points Plus



"Chili and Lime" Taco Soup

1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 tsp beef buillion
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp diced green chilis
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1 tsp taco seasoning
2 cups water

Combine all ingredients.  Simmer together for 10 minutes.  Serve with 1 TBSP fat free Plain Greek yogurt, if desired.
Makes 4, 1 1/2 cup servings.  Only 3 points on Weight Watchers Points Plus

3 comments:

  1. I love soups - thanks for the recipes! I wish your brother liked then too, because it's not that much fun to cook them just for myself. My bad habit is my sweet tooth - oh I wish to find a cure for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use lemon juice or do you use lime juice for the Chile and Lime Taco Soup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachelle- I use lemon juice just cause I don't usually keep lime in the house. Lime would be better, but lemon adds the citrusey flavor of lime.

    ReplyDelete